Friday, January 11, 2008

Winning

Yesterday I talked about how I won a science fair competition. Today I want to talk more about winning / success.

Some people see success in the arts like winning the lottery. One day you are just living your normal life, and the next day you "win" some huge success, having put in very little work. These people think they will suddenly get selected to have a solo show at a museum, for a music record deal, to star in a movie, etc.

I see winning / success differently. To me "winning" in the arts is really more like winning an Olympic medal. Olympians train / work their entire lives, and then are rewarded.

If I told you you just won $40,000, you'd probably be pretty happy. If I then told you all you have to do get the $40k was work at your current job for a year, you'd probably then be pretty disappointed. To me, success is more like a job; you work, and then (hopefully) are rewarded.

No comments: