Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Knifing your paintings

I read that, later in his career, Monet was really bothered by his early paintings. He hated knowing that they were out there. Collectors would bring early paintings to him, knowing that he would slash them and have the collector take a new replacement painting.

I sometime feel like knifing my early paintings. As I get more and more skilled, those paintings really bother me. For now, I'll let them continue to exist!

Here's a related article

1 comment:

Reeky said...

I have been known to slash my paintings.

I caught my sister dumpster diving on some of my trashed/unfinished/nasty work. She said, "But they are so beautiful"

If they were so damn purdy, why did I throw them away? After that, if I trashed something, I slashed or ripped it up.

Get this, it's rather satisfying. I think because they were things that had frustrated me. Unsolvable messes.