Tuesday, January 15, 2008

They don't get it

I was thinking recently, and I realized that for about 95% of my paintings, people do not get the message or point that I was trying communicate. The only painting that a lot of people seem to "get" is Cheesy Beef Squares. This is probably because Cheesy Beef Squares actually has text within the painting itself that explains the painting.
On my web site, I have a "Notes" section for each painting that explains my thoughts, goals etc. for the painting. I had previously thought that the average person would get all of this info from just looking at the painting.
I guess I'm OK with people just enjoying my paintings at a "surface" level. It does bother me sometimes when people miss what I was going for and think that I'm not that good of a painter; for example - people often don't realize that Heather Is Apparently Frightened of Something To Her Right is a parody - I don't really paint like that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Such parody never, ever works. In your realist technique, I think you are possibly a brilliant painter, however, your so called figurative (or cultural, or literary, or whatever...) parody is a crock. It doesn't even work a little bit. Stop it! Master "realistic" depiction of the human form--then, I suspect, you won't feel the need to parody (it). The normal human assumption is: "What you see is what you get". Insincerity can be spotted a mile away. All the honed technique in the world can't cover it up an artist lack of sincerity (or, as Rollo May puts it--engagement). Perhaps we should not try to be so cute. Paint what you earnestly feel--or, whatever garners immediate cash. You should already know the score: This is one of the most dangerous professions in the world.