Friday, October 26, 2007

New American Paintings

I submitted an entry to New American Paintings magazine. It's basically a competition where the winners are shown in the mag every year. You may know that I was in the May 2004 issue.

I would like to talk about my process trying to get into this mag. What I do is:
- I continuously "audition" my paintings by submitting them to various small juried shows.
- I keep track of which paintings are accepted into the most shows.
- I then submit the "greatest hits" to New American Paintings.
- I then note which paintings I submitted and what the response was.

I wanted to mention this because people might think "just make great art and you will be successful!". There is this whole other "cheezy" part of the equation - figuring out what people like.

No comments: